Chimes and Carillons at Holy Trinity, Hull
The original chime was installed in Holy Trinity in 1777. The Chime machine was built by a Joiner, E. Todd of Mytongate in Hull, and the barrel was pinned by a clockmaker, Joseph Hindley of York. It had several tunes. The chime was purely mechanical and had to be wound twice each day. It was a highly complex piece of machinery that needing oiling in one hundred different places on a regular basis. Perhaps unsurprisingly it fell into disuse but in 1865 was restored. You can see under the tower a sign which records the event in 1865. The restored chime lasted until 1898 when the old ring of eight bells in the tower on which the chime struck were removed and in 1899 were recast by bellfounders John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough.
In May 2013 a Chime of 15 bells (cast in 2012 by John Taylor and Co.) was installed comprising a diatonic scale of 12 bells and 3 semitones. The calling bell from our daughter church of Holy Apostles was incorporated into the installation. In January 2014, 8 additional bells (cast in October 2013 by John Taylor and Co.) were installed to form the present 23 bell carillon. This was dedicated as The Wilberforce Carillon.
There is a computer control box which plays tunes on the carillon at particular times throughout the day. There is also a piano-style keyboard in the ringing chamber by which the carillon may be played.
Further details and images can be found HERE
Bells at Holy Trinity, Hull
From 1648-1652 there was a ring of six bells cast by George Oldfield of Nottingham. In 1727 these bells were recast by Henry Penn of Peterborough into a ring of eight bells with a Tenor weighing 21 cwt (in E). Owing to the poor quality of some of the bells, recasting was necessary in 1747, 1759, and in 1802 the Tenor was increased in weight to 22cwt 0qrs 22lbs in E.
In 1899 the City Council and Church with the steeple keeper, Charles Jackson, had all the bells recast and added two new bells, a treble F♯ and a Tenor D, making a ring of ten bells.
In 1959 the old ring of 8 bells from St James Parish Church, Myton, Hessle Road was bought by Holy Trinity's steeple keeper. The 7th and the Tenor were used to augment the ring at Holy Trinity to 12 and the cost of recasting was met by the City Council to celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of William Wilberforce.
The calling bells from St Barnabas and the Transfiguration Churches in Hull were bought by Holy Trinity's steeple keeper and used to cast the flat 6th bell in 1975. Holy Trinity's steeple keeper also gave the Top Treble bell for Holy Trinity in 1979 and the sharp 2nd bell in 1983 which were both cast from new metal.
All of the above bells from 1899 onwards were cast by bellfounders John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough.
The 16th Bell was named as the 'Lady' bell. Cast in Germany in 1910 for the Lutheran Church in Hull it was transferred to Holy Trinity in 2004.
The installation of bells at Holy Trinity is one of the largest in the World.
The bell frame is of oak and dates from 1727. Further details can be found HERE